What is a Millennial?
According to (Livescience.com) a Millennial, also known as a Generation Y, generally refers to the generation of people born between the early 1980s and the early 2000s. They are known as Generation Y because they follow on from Generation X.
Iconoclast, the consumer research firm, believes that the first Millennials were born in 1978. The Times magazine article places Millennials between 1980-2000 and other newspapers and magazines vary as early as 1977. Are you a true Millennial?
Some interesting stats on Millennials
- 50%of Millennials consider themselves politically unaffiliated.
- 29% consider themselves religiously unaffiliated.
- They have the highest average number of Facebook friends, with an average of 250 friends vs. Generations X’s 200.
- 55% have posted a selfie or more to social media sites versus 20% of Generation X.
- They send a median of 50 texts a day
- Millennials are the last generation born in the 20th century.
(Source – www.livescience.com)
Millennials and eLearning
Millennials typically are best suited to modern eLearning methods as they have been shaped by technology and see it as a way of life. Therefore, it is important to engage with them through tools that easily facilitate social learning and knowledge sharing through forums, chat and blogs.
How does a Millennial best engage in Learning?
Research shows that Millennials prefer learning in a more relaxed environment that allows them to interact informally with colleagues and management. They like to discuss new ideas and concepts and have some control over their learning and development.
The Totara social platform offers powerful, informal learning tools for your organisation. Totara Social, a professional open-source solution, offers powerful learning tools, with a simple and easy to use interface, to help merge informal learning with the corporate world.
Why choose Totara Social?
- Facilitates ideas and knowledge sharing
- Encourages collaboration between staff and departments
- Improves morale
- Creates a sense of community
- Showcase achievements
- Supports multi-device learning
Get in Touch
For further information on our Totara Social platform visit our Totara Social webpage or contact us via email or +44 (0) 28 9042 2000