Did you know humans have a lower attention span than a goldfish?
Research indicates that the average human attention span has shortened from 12 seconds to 8 seconds. Goldfish are still ahead of us with an attention span of 9 seconds.
You just have 8 seconds to engage your online learners or else you could be in danger of losing them.
Here’s ten tips to hook your learners, in just 8 seconds…
- Open with an interesting fact or fiction – Present attention grabbing figures or facts – did you know…
- Throw a challenge – Get your learners out of their comfort zone and simulate their thinking.
- Ask for information – Ask learners their thoughts, opinions and answers.
- Let learners play games – Allow them to explore, try, fail and learn from their mistakes through games.
- Include interactions – Interactivity and engagement go hand-in-hand. Use interactions that help fulfil learning objectives.
- Use videos – Who doesn’t like watching videos? Use videos to increase the rate at which learners retain information.
- Make content visually appealing – Use high quality photos, images, videos and infographics which are relevant to your content.
- Incorporate a tone of voice – Creating a persona can go a long way in helping learners remember content – keep your wording of questions consistent and ensure your course content has a personality.
- Mix and match – As the old saying goes, ‘variety is the spice of life’. Present your content through case studies, scenarios and real life examples, stories and analogies, etc.
- What’s in it for me? Answer this question for your learners at the very beginning, so that they stay motivated and focused.